The Must Have Wood Floor Pre-Installation Checklist
You’ve decided on installing hardwood floors. And you’ve selected the perfect one for your home based on look and type, width and length, color and finish, durability and usability. Now that you’ve taken care of all of that, it’s time to prepare for the next big step: installation! We have you covered. Here, we share the essential pre-installation checklist every homeowner needs to know to ensure their home is prepped and ready for wood flooring installation. If your installer can answer “Yes” to each question, then the jobsite is ready to install your new hardwood floors. (Tip: Print this guide and mark down who checked and when to keep on file for future reference.
- Are gutters and downspouts are properly placed to drain water away?
- Is soil outside is graded properly to drain water away from the site?
- Are all “wet” jobs (e.g., drywall, plaster, paint, ceramic tile, etc.) complete?
- Are air conditioning, heating and ventilation complete and operating?
- Is the home enclosed and weather-tight, including all doors and windows in place?
- Is the temperature between 60 and 80 degrees Fahrenheit and relative humidity is between 30 and 50 percent?
- H six-mil polyethylene (preferably black) been installed and does it cover the entire ground area in the crawl space?
Concrete Slab Conditions
- Has concrete been installed for at least 30 days?
- If wood flooring is to be installed over a slab, is the concrete flat per specifications?
- Has a vapor barrier been installed under the slab?
Delivery and Working Conditions
- Is proper electrical power available: 120V and 220V?
- Are the driveway and sidewalks paved?
- Is moisture content of the wood subfloor no more than 4 percent above or below the finish flooring and within regional moisture content guidelines?
- Did moisture testing of concrete slab begin no sooner than 30 days after the slab was poured, and did test results indicate that it is safe to begin wood flooring installation? (Note type of test and results.)
See our latest wood flooring collections https://www.arimarwood.com/collections/